Saturday, November 30, 2013

Day Five - Mount Kilimanjaro Here I Come!



The 5th day of the blog challenge has caused me to almost quit. I'm not sure why I wanted to stop...I guess it's because it's asking for me to challenge my belief system and imagination. In the past, I've traveled and worked remotely and experienced the joy and freedom of this lifestyle.I was able to do this for a little over a year until financial resources ran dry. At the end, I was unable to sustain my dream of working remotely from anywhere in the world and found myself in severe financial hardship.

Sometimes I think it's natural or should I say easier to accept the status quo and live a marginal existence. Maybe not...all I know is that the road to living my dream has not been easy and each day I have to pray, meditate and challenge the my doubts, fears and negative self-talk.

Engulfed in my sleeping bag like a butterfly in its cocoon, I awake to the of aroma of coffee. I take a few minutes to pray and thank God. I've finally made it to my dream trip...Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Africa. As I look around at my surroundings, I've overcome with joy and gratitude because my children Imani, Kiyah, Julien and Emmanuelle are with me on this trip.

We exit our tent and head to the galley to eat breakfast and prepare for our initial climb on the 10-day trek up on the western part of the mountain. This route is called Lemosho which is more difficult than the Rongai or Marangu, but offers awesome scenery and the potential to see wild animals along the route.

The porters from the Chagga Tribe break down the tent and pack our backpacks. We eat breakfast and observe the efficiency of the porters who are indigenous to the slopes of Kilimanjaro and are an integral part of the climb. We discuss the upcoming journey and listen to the insight into the culture and society provided by the porters.

The climb begins on the edge of a rain forest and the trek will take seven hours to reach the Machame Camp which is 10,000' above sea level. My day of adventure will not be for the faint of heart but for those with a desire to live life to its fullest. We make it to the first base camp with stories and memories to share.

The smart work has paid off and the months of creating systems and processes to work remotely has manifested into a dream of a lifetime. I utilized today's outsourcing and crowdsourcing technology to leverage my graphic and web design business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment